Saturday, April 28, 2007

I know you are but what am I?

Question: What kids' show promised in its opening theme, "A nuttier establishment you've never seen"?

The secret word is: laugh

Talking furniture, marrying fruit salad, a creepy floating magic head...yeah, I'd say the theme song was probably right. Pee Wee's Playhouse was a definite Saturday morning ritual at my house when I was younger. My friends and I would make up a secret word of the day and we'd scream whenever anyone said it. And that was in high school and college, long after the show had been taken off the air. I guess some things just stay with you as you age.

I still say "I know you are but what am I?" in my best Pee Wee voice. I even sometimes bust out a "Meka leka hi, meka hiney ho" when necessary (is it ever really necessary?). I'm not sure I understand the appeal of a nerdy guy in an ill-fitting suit talking in a grating voice and screaming a lot, but it sure did work for me for some reason. And what a launching pad it became for some careers! Laurence Fishburne as Cowboy Curtis, S. Epatha Merkerson as Reba the mail lady, and Phil Hartman was a writer and played Captain Carl. What a cast!

No wonder the show was good for a laugh! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Answer: Pee Wee's Playhouse

4 comments:

Christina said...

I love love LOVE you for this post.

Heather said...

If you love me so much, why don't you marry me then?

Wait...I'm already married and, besides, it would only be legal in Massachusetts.

Christina said...

And NJ and HI!

Retro Attic said...

I remeber going to a carnival in Junior High and the ENTIRE theme was Pee Wee!