Friday, June 15, 2007

A Sad Day for Science Nerds

Question: Whose talk show debuted in 1982 with Bill Murray and Don "Mr. Wizard" Herbert as guests?

June 13, 2007 became a very sad day for me. Don Herbert, better known as Mr. Wizard, died at the age of 89. Without fail, I would watch "Mr. Wizard's World" on Nickelodeon three times a week in the 80s. That show might have been the catalyst for my love of science and the beginnings of why I decided to become a science teacher.

The experiments always amazed me. That man could do anything with just some salt, vinegar, and an old mayo jar. There were explosions, and smoke, and all kinds of different colors. It was fascinating and I always learned something. Mr. Wizard always stressed to his sidekicks the importance of doing experiments the right way. Don Herbert's obituary at cnn.com agreed:

"He modeled how to predict and measure and analyze. ... The show today might seem slow but it was in-depth and forced you to think along," Jacobs said. "You were learning about the forces of nature."

I often emulate Mr. Wizard in my science classroom. I use simple household items when I can and I always make sure the students understand that science is everywhere and can be done at any time by anyone. Thanks, Mr. Wizard, for making science fun all those years.

Answer: David Letterman

No comments: